Our Commitment to Community: We give where we live!
We believe that as a small business we need to give back to the (greater) community in which we live. This is the power, in a way, of small businesses where owners live in the community, over much larger ones, where owners are overseas or out of sight. So just as much as we promote ‘shop local’ we believe in ‘give where you live’.
While we focus on events in Kelowna and across BC, we have also donated to silent auctions and events in Alberta.
Examples of Giving and Direct Fundraising:
- The biggest one-time fundraising event we ever had was our work with the Canadian Cancer Society and The Hot Flashes movie release (see inset “The Story of Hot Flash™”). Since the movie went straight to DVD in Canada, we worked with the film producers to have three showings in BC – in Kelowna, Cranbrook and the Lower Mainland. In each community tickets were sold for $25. This included a glass of Hot Flash ™ wine (donated by us), appetizers (donated by a store in the community) and a private screening of the movie at a movie theatre (in Kelowna the old Paramount Theatre donated their space). In total, across these three venues, over $20,000 was raised for the Canadian Cancer Society.
- Each year we hold two Grape Stomps in the fall and collect donations for the Kelowna Food Bank. We annually collect over 600 pounds of food and several hundred dollars.
- From 2013 through to 2017 when we had our Christmas Lights Ups, we sold hot chocolate and mulled wine with all proceeds to the Food Bank, raising several hundred each year.
- We have held several fundraisers for the Kelowna Women’s Shelter and for the Canadian Cancer Society. We have also done fundraising for the SPCA and NOW Canada.
- We donate to the breakfast program of the Kelowna Foodbank and other charities.
Indirect fundraising and participating in other’s events:
- Each year we provide gift certificates to a wide variety of organizations including various school fundraisers, Kindle, The Fire Fighters Association, the Central OK Refugee Association, the Boys and Girls Club and the Hope Society to name a few.
We have traveled thousands of kilometers and donated time and wine to many Rotary or other fundraising events by pouring our wine at no cost and offering